by Suzanne Virgilio
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE salads. Salads are the opening number to a dinner that introduces the season to be celebrated. I suppose one reason salads are so popular is that it allows us to eat something delicious and nutritious. What could be better? When it comes to making salads, in my world, the crunchier the better! I’m a huge fan of croutons, nuts & smoky flavors; so I thought, why not develop a crouton that incorporates all my favor things? Not only delicious, but also good for you! I hope you enjoy this blog offering; even if your salad is your meal, you are eating well!
Savory & Sweet Granola Croutons
Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden
Makes about a dozen 2-inch croutons
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ½ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Granola Factory Honey Pecan Granola
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a liquid measuring cup combine the olive oil, egg white & honey. Combine well with a fork. Set aside
- In a medium bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Give the liquid mixture a good stir again and pour over the granola mixture. Use a rubber spatula to combine.
- Line a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the granola mixture onto the pan using an offset spatula. Spread to an even thickness (or thinness).
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes until golden. Croutons will spread together and become one sheet.
- Allow crouton to cool completely. Mixture will harden.
- Once cooled break into crouton size pieces. Store in airtight zip lock until ready to use. Can be made 1 day in advance
When the air becomes crisp and the leave begin to change colors, I crave this delicious reflection of the season’s offerings. Combine your favorite greens and garnish with your favorite apple slices, dried cranberries & shaved Parmesan Reggiano. The following vinaigrette completes a perfect fall or winter salad.
Makes approximately 1 cup
Store in refrigerator until serving
Allow to come to room temp. before serving
- 1/4-cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp coarse grain Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a liquid measuring cup or small jar.
- Whisk mixture with a wire whisk or fork to combine.
- Add 1 crushed clove of garlic and allow it to macerate in vinaigrette. Remove clove of garlic before serving