Grammy Wyrebach’s Molasses Cutouts
by Suzanne Virgilio
*Makes approximately 3-4 dozen Ingredients
- 3-1/2cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup butter – softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup dark molasses
- Zest of 1 orange
- In large bowl combine butter and sugar until creamy
- To butter/sugar mixture add egg and mix to combine
- Add molasses and orange zest and mix again to combine
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon and ground cloves, stir to combine
- Add dry ingredients to butter/sugar mixture a little at a time until all has been incorporated.
- Place dough in a zip lock bag and flatten. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Divide dough in half and on lightly floured surface roll out fairly thin
- Using cookie cutters cut out cookies and place on parchment lined baking pans
- Bake approximately 7 -10 minutes, depending on thickness of cookies.
- Remove from baking sheet to cool.