Savory French Toast Stuffed w/ Ham & Cheddar
- 2 C whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1 loaf Challah bread, cut into 1- 1/2 inch slices
- 8 oz Vermont extra sharp cheese cut into slices
- 1/2 lb double smoked ham, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 C maple syrup
- 1/4 C dried apricots
- 1/4 C dried Cherries
- 1/4 C dried blueberries
- * or any combination of dried fruit you prefer
Fruited Maple Syrup
- If time allows, slice bread and create pocket in each slice the day before making French toast. Slightly stale bread will hold it’s shape much better, even when moist from egg batter.
- Before stuffing the bread lightly saute the smoked ham on buttered griddle until very fragrent. This is not a necessary step but one that will bring out more of the “smokey” ham flavor.
- In a medium bowl beat milk and eggs very well with a good pinch of salt.
- Strain egg mixture into a 9X13 dish
- When ham is cool “stuff” each bread pocket with a cheese & ham combo, being sure to evenly distribute both ingredients
- Now place stuffed Challah into egg mixture.
- Allow bread to soak in egg mixture no more than 5 minutes, being sure to soak both sides of bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a nonstick griddle and grease with a butter/Canola oil combination
- Once griddle is hot place stuffed Challah onto griddle and lower heat to medium
- Allow Challah to cook, about 5 -8 minutes on each side until lightly golden
- Place toasted Challah on parchment lined baking sheet and place in preheated oven while making maple syrup mixture, no more than 10 minutes.
- In small saucepan combine maple syrup and dried fruit
- Heat mixture over low heat until heated through
- Off heat and cover pan, allowing dried fruit to rehydrate until ready to serve
- Place stuffed French toast on warmed plates and serve with Fruited Maple Syrup.
- Be ready to see some very satisfying faces:)
Cooking French Toast
Fruit Maple Syrup